Sunday, April 1, 2012

Shady Grove

Cut a banjo from a gourd
Strung it up with twine
And every tune that I play
Will help to make her mine 



      I had a great time recording "Fall on My Knees" and a lot of people seemed to like it.  During that session, Daune and I also recorded another awesome old time song called "Shady Grove."  Unlike "Fall on My Knees," which is about lost love, this song is about finding love.  It is usually done as a modal tune.  I don't know too much music theory, but I think it means that it is not in a major key, or a minor key.  Duane did a great job managing the recording equipment and also provided some more percussive guitar.  This particular version uses some traditional verses and some that I made up.  A few were made up on the fly, and a few were messed up on the fly.  By the time we recorded this song, we had been up for hours doing some serious recording and a little drinking.  We decided to have fun rather than reach perfection.  Mistakes were inevitable, but I personally prefer this song in its raw, unrehearsed form.  If you are interested in the song, check out my ever growing list of verses.  I am going to try to add a new verse every month.  In fact, after leaving Charm City (Baltimore) I was reminiscing about the good times I had up there and I came up with this verse.

It's a long, long way to Baltimore
The place they call Charm City
But I hear up there the good beer flows
And all the girls are pretty

No comments:

Post a Comment