Friday, July 13, 2012

2 Years of Banjo!


      It's hard to believe it, but I have been playing banjo for two years already.  Man, time is flying, but at least I'm enjoying it.  As motivation for me to continue to challenge myself, I looked up a video of me playing when I was a fledgling musician.  I didn't realize I had come so far.  I always write that I have issues to work on (usually tempo and varying the melody), but at least I am improving.  I plan on challenging myself and playing with some musicians around Auburn (most are much better than me).  I hope this video also motivates anybody who is considering taking up the banjo, or any instrument.  Just be careful, it can be addicting.  In the last two years, I have also started learning guitar, ukulele, and the fiddle.
      You may notice that some things are a little different.  No, I am not referring to the fact that I no longer have a beard, my hair is now short and I'm not as tan.  Good observations, but I'm referring to more subtle things.  First, you will notice that the head on my banjo looks much cleaner and lacks the smudge from extended playing.  It hadn't seen much use back then, but it has seen a lot since.  More importantly, you might notice that in my recent video, my index finger sticks out, but it does not in my old video.  This is because I have since converted to striking the strings with my middle finger instead of my index finger.  You can use either (some folks use both), but I find I get a better tone with my middle finger.
      So, what is next?  Well, right now I'm working on singing and playing at the same time.  It's hard, and I'm really self conscious about singing, but I'm getting better.  Hopefully, I'll be able to post some videos of me singing in the near future.  I'm also working on playing up the neck which I'm starting to figure out.  One thing that still baffles me, is playing parts that harmonize with the melody.  Maybe I'll get that some day.
      In case anybody was wondering, this song is called "Waltzing Matilda."  The lyrics are by Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson, but the song isn't really a banjo tune (I don't even know if "Banjo" Paterson played the banjo).  In fact, it is actually an Australian bush tune.  Still, folk songs are folk songs, so the simple melody and structure of this song lends itself well to clawhammer banjo.  It also happens to be the first song I learned by ear!  Here is some interesting history about the song.


No comments:

Post a Comment