Sunday, January 6, 2013

Kelp Horn


      Here is a primitive horn I made out of bull whip kelp (Nereocystis luetkeana).  I didn't cure the kelp.  I just picked it up off the beach, chopped off both ends, and used it as a horn.  using a larger piece of kelp not shown in this video, I was able to get four different notes.  I consider that pretty good considering I have never played a horn or brass instrument.  Apparently, some people even make vuvuzelas out of the bull whip kelp.  If you are interested in other uses for the kelp, check out this website.  I tried to dry mine to make it last, but it just started to rot.  It is now composting in Portland, Oregon.  My favorite thing about the kelp horn was the response it got from a bearded man who was the epitome of an old seafaring man.  As I walked through a rock tunnel blasting the horn, I heard him ask, "Are there orcs coming?  I normally carry an elvish blade to warn me, but I forgot mine."  Later, as I was blasting it off on a rock with waves crashing all around, he suggested I stop.  "There are many sea beasts out there, and one could easily mistake that for a mating cry," he warned.  I doubted the existence of sea beasts, but I still wasn't going to hang out and test his theory.  As I was leaving the beach, he tipped his hat and thanked me and my brothers, who were also wielding horns, for the "seaweed symphony".  It's always nice to meet other people who have a sense of humor, an appreciation for Tolkein's works, and a sense of adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment