Tuesday, January 22, 2013

More on the Mountain Banjo

Made from hide and wood, the mountain banjo changes with the barometer, and because the ingredients were once alive it is always in some stage of degeneration, rotting in the picker's arms.  There is a shuffle and ache in the sound worthy of the weak and vulnerable and broken...  Unlike a store-bought banjo, the homegrown version has a life of its own and is perpetually dying.

- Steven Harvey, Bound for Shady Grove 


      In an earlier post I wrote about my homemade mountain banjo.  It just wouldn't be right if I didn't at least mention Frank Proffitt.  So, here is my version of one of his songs.  I played it on my mountain banjo*, which is similar to the banjos he made and played.  The song is called "Rove Riley." I first heard it played by Frank Lindamood one day after work when I used to be at the FSU Coastal and Marine Lab.  Frank Lindamood was a carpenter there, and if I was lucky I could catch him playing the banjo in the wood shop before he left.  The aroma of pine and wood shavings on the floor really contributed to the overall experience.  Both Franks have influenced my playing.  In fact, Lindamood first introduced me to old time music and also referred me to some of the early Frank Proffitt recordings.

      On another note, I have been reading Bound for Shady Grove by Steven Harvey.  It is basically Harvey's reflection on the banjo and how it ties into Appalachian culture. I thought this quote above was applicable.  I can already tell that my banjo has a life of its own, and perhaps it is perpetually dying, but that is exactly what makes it full of so much life.  Each little flaw, and imperfection makes it more organic.  Unlike the CNC cut banjos that flood the market today, engineered to fractions of an inch, each mountain banjo, is different and unique.  They reflect the skills, emotions and experiences of the builder.

*Mountain banjos are typically tuned lower than modern banjos to prevent the neck from warping.  I'm still figuring out which keys to play and sing in, so this song is a little rough, but hey, it's a homemade banjo, so I don't care


2 comments:

  1. How long did it take you to make your banjo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... In terms of hours, not long. In terms of how long it took me to complete it, about six months, because I just worked on it a little bit at a time. If you had the time, I'd say you could do it in about two weekends. I probably spent about 30 hours (not counting curing time for finish, glue etc.), but I didn't have many power tools. Plus, I spent about 4 hours precisely measuring the neck. I think next time I do it, I will just shape the neck by how it feels. I'm still working on the posts about building it, but if you click the "How to..." tab above, you can find the instructions I have posted so far. Also, it is apparent in this recording, but it is a fretless banjo. It requires less skill and precision to build a fretless, but more skill to play. So it's a trade-off.

    ReplyDelete