Monday, December 5, 2011

Catch the Tail End of the Flounder Run

      I know I have been writing about gigging a lot lately, but only because it has been so productive.  Once the run ends, I'll post about some other topics.  Anyway, I went out last night and there are still fish out there.  I saw one in the first few minutes, but I didn't notice it until it was swimming away.  Needless to say, it escaped.  It was pretty windy so the surf was a little rough.  My usual walk to the jetty only produced two fish, but one was my neighbors first fish.  It was a 20" fish too!  On the way back, the Destin Christmas Boat Parade started.  A bunch of decrated boats went by and then the fireworks started!  I love fireworks, but I don't think fish do.  We were right next to the barge that launched the projectiles, and it was pretty noisy.  The next two fish we saw looked to be about 18 inches, but they spooked way too easily.  Oh well, at least there was some nice scenery.  Right before we left we did a second pass through a typically productive stretch of the beach and got an 18" flounder.  It was worth the extra 5 minutes.
      Anyway, the flounder are still out there.  They are not as thick as they used to be, but you can still find a few.  I suspect they will hang around until the end of this week, but this cold front coming through will probably drive out the rest of the fish.  So, if you want to get out this year, go in the next three nights.  I know I'll be putting up my gear after Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment