Friday, December 23, 2011

Photos from Middle Earth


 "Not all those who wander are lost" -J.R.R. Tolkein

Looking out at this bend in the Green River, it is very easy to imagine Frodo and the Fellowship paddling down the Anduin.
       For those of you who don't already know, the trailer for The Hobbit, was released.  It looks pretty cool.  So what does this mean in relation to all the outdoor topics I typically post about?  Well, first, The Hobbit, is epic and anything epic deserves some attention on this blog.  More importantly, this blog is partially about outdoor adventures, and I'm sure many outdoorsman, like me, have come across some amazing scenery in nature and thought, "I feel like I'm in Middle Earth."  So, in honor of the The Hobbit, and all great adventures, I have posted some pictures of places, and things, that made me feel like I was in Middle Earth.  Enjoy!

 
Hiking on a Colorado trail or, hiking through High Pass in the Misty Mountains?

A typical beech tree (Fagus grandifolia) or an ent in Fanghorn Forest?

A golden silk spider (Nephila sp.), or an offspring of Shelob in Mirkwood Forest?
  
Geology in action, or the work of playfull stone giants who existed eons ago?

A view of a trail in the smokies or, perhaps the road to Brandywine Bridge.

Looking out from a peak in the smokies or, watching for ring wraiths from Weathertop?

It could be a snowed in pass in the Uintas.  It could also be Redhorn Gate.

The plains of Rohan.

A friendly mushroom gatherer in an aspen grove...I hope so.  Otherwise it might be an elf lurking around Mirkwood Forest.

No question about it, this is definetly Erebor, the Lonely Mountain.


No comments:

Post a Comment