Tuesday, December 13, 2011

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen

Oh Tidings of comfort and joy!


      This post is pretty self-explanatory.  It is me attempting to play "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" in a melodic clawhammer style.  Normally, I learn the chords of a song, and then slowly learn the melody by ear.  However, I refuse to play Christmas music until December, so I don't actually have much time to learn songs before Christmas.  I broke down and bought A Clawhammer Christmas, by Mike Iverson.  It is a great book.  I found it especially challenging to get a serene and quaint feeling out of the banjo for the slower Christmas tunes, but this book really helped.  Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.  (Sorry for the poor audio quality.  I don't know what causes the "cracking noise" but, I tried to reduce it by muting my banjo and covering my microphone.  I'll try to get a better mic.)
      As a side note, I had to post the following video.  Normally, I am not a fan of rock or pop group Christmas carol covers but, I love the sound of this version by the Barenaked Ladies.  Parts of it almost sounds haunting but it maintains that upbeat swing through the entire song.  Plus, the harmony is awesome, and I love harmonies.  Of course, it puts me to shame, but I can handle being outperformed by professional musicians.



No comments:

Post a Comment