Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Is it Christmas Time Yet?

I captured this frozen pond on Grand Mesa way back in October.  Going from a winter wonderland to the muggy south has really confused my natural calender.
      For some reason, it doesn't seem like Christmas is right around the corner.  Maybe it's because I no longer have the pre-holiday ritual of studying for exams and writing final papers before finally getting to relax with some hard cider and Christmas carols. I also think that this ridiculously warm weather might be influencing my innate calender.  As a matter of fact, when I was working in Wyoming, it started snowing in October.  Christmas carols kept popping into my head, but part of me knew that it was still too early for Christmas.  When I was leaving Wyoming, I knew the south would still be warm, but I didn't know it would be this warm. One day, I was breaking ice in a desert stream to catch fish underneath it.  On my way home one week later, I was swimming in the Colorado River to cool off after hiking in 80 degree temperatures.  When I got to Florida it was even warmer.  We had one quick cold front but know it has warmed up again.  Today was especially warm and muggy.  (I guess I spoke to soon when I proclaimed it was keg season.)  I'm used to panhandle Christmases, but I wasn't prepared for the weather to stay this warm.  I'm not complaining, I really like warm humid weather.  I just wasn't expecting it to last this long.  I guess when I go get my family's tree, and finally smell the scent of pine in the sawdust, it will feel like Christmas time.

No comments:

Post a Comment